Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching
Department of English
National Kaohsiung First University of Science and Technology, Taiwan
- Accessibility: By putting course material on the Web, teachers provide students with 24-hour independent access to course information, and updates to Web pages and new assignments are immediately available to students.
- Renewability: Once created, materials can be updated easily and as often as needed.
- Adaptability: Web-based activities can easily be modified to support students at different proficiency levels or with special needs.
- Creating Listening comprehension and pronunciation practice with audio clips.
- Creating online language learning activities/courses with web authoring software.
1. Survey existing websites.
2. Deciding on the purpose and objectives of the site
3. Determining limitations and users' reactions to technology
4. Securing the right equipment
5. Preparing the content
6. Recording and editing media files
7. Encoding the media files for the Internet
8. Making the media available to users online
9. Playing the media files
11. Troubleshooting playback problems
11. Evaluating your work and being willing to revise
Also, there are many HTML tutorials and HTML code glossaries on the Web:
- instant word lookup 查字功能 (including "double-click function to any word on the page" and "Dictionary Lookup Box")
- Flash Basics (from the Pennsylvania State University)
- Flash Tutorial (from EchoEcho.Com)
- Flash Basics and Drawing (from CBT Cafe)
1. Make use of royalty-free images from online clipart resource sites.
2. Use IrfanView (free image viewing and editing software)
Download the IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/
- IrfanView Tutorial (from Instructional Endeavors)
- Resizing Large Images Using IrfanView (* Note: 72 pixels = 1 inch)
3. Use PhotoImpact 8 [PowerPoint Slides]
Download PhotoImpact 8 trial version from PChome: http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/drawing_imageprocess/11305.html
4. More image editing software you may consider using:
- ACDSee (download the trial version from PChome: http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/drawing_view/6.html)
- Adobe Photoshop: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html
- Paintshop Pro: http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro
- PhotoSuite: http://www.roxio.com
- Also see PChome for other image editing freeware/shareware download: http://toget.pchome.com.tw/index/drawing_imageprocess/index_t1.html
Read "Sound recording for language teachers" by the Association of University Language Centres http://www.aulc.org/resources.html
Sound recording and editing software:
- Sound Recorder: It is supplied with Windows. Rather primitive, only basic operations
- Audacity (freeware): Allows for all the basic features of editing, and copes with different formats, and will even import MIDI. http://audacity.sourceforge.net
- Free Download MP3 Sound Recorder Software, Audio Recording, WAV Recorder, WMA Recorder: http://www.sound-recorder.com/download.htm
- GoldWave: http://www.goldwave.com. Download the trial version from PChome http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/multimedia_musicmaker/3163.html
- Wav Compressor: A freeware that can compress WAV files while maintaining high quality or convert them to Mp3. http://www.droopyeyes.com/default.asp?mode=ShowProduct&ID=11 or download it from PChome http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/multimedia_transfer/17570.html
- r8brain 1.6 : A freeware that can convert WAV files and give high sample rate conversion quality in combination with comparably small processing time. http://www.voxengo.com/r8brainpro/ or download it from PChome http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/multimedia_transfer/18581.html
- Movie Maker is bundled with Windows XP (free download) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx
- Ulead VideoStudio (會聲會影): http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm
Or download the trial version from PChome http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/multimedia_maker/3727.html
- Adobe Premiere: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere
- VideoWave: http://www.roxio.com
- VCDGear: A freeware written to extract MPEG streams from CD images, convert VideoCD files to MPEG, correct MPEG errors, and create (Super)VideoCDs. http://toget.pchome.com.tw/intro/multimedia_transfer/11282.html
- Also see PChome for other video editing freeware/shareware download: http://toget.pchome.com.tw/index/multimedia_maker/index_t1.html http://toget.pchome.com.tw/index/multimedia_videomaker/index_t1.html
TrackStar helps teachers to create online lessons and activities. Simply collect Web sites, enter them into TrackStar, add annotations for your students, and you have an interactive, online lesson called a Track. Create your own Track or use one of the hundreds of thousands already made by other teachers.
This web-based utility allows teachers to create a lesson, worksheet or class page on the World Wide Web.
This tool allows students to create and post Web pages for projects.
* Note: There are other free online tools and resources produced by the University of Kansas. Please check their website http://www.4teachers.org/ for more information.
It provides free web-based learning environment for classrooms, distance learning programs and collaborative academic projects. ICA is a sophisticated communication tool that brings powerful Web-based conferencing, personal messaging, document sharing, scheduling and link/resource sharing to a variety of learning environments.
- Teacher's Desk: It offers free EduWare and Game Ware download.